"For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being ROOTED and grounded in LOVE, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the LOVE of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen."

~Ephesians 3:14-21

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Saving Wilbur

Well, I finally made it to the Market here in Cajamarca to purchase food. My friend, Gleny, and I traveled by bus to the center of the city so she could teach me how to buy items and places to stay away from. My first thought was where are the shopping carts? I noticed Gleny had a long list to get and she only had one bag in her hand. As I looked around, I quickly realized what you buy...needs to fit in your bag. No buying in bulk here! I saw ladies with huge bags strapped over their backs and shoulders...and then maybe a toddler or baby as well. One elderly lady even approached us and asked us if we could help her lift her bag over her shoulder to her back. Gleny smiled, lifted it for her, and sent her on her way. The women continued to show her appreciation numerous times by telling us "gracias" as she walked to the next area to shop. Within ten minutes, sweat was pouring off my forehead. The temperature was high and we had to strategically walk between carts, animals, and people wandering from place to place. Lots of laughter and sounds of joy filled the air as many of the locals greeted one another, embracing each other with hugs and kisses.

And then, I saw him...WILBUR. Although, it was not all of Wilbur- it was only his HEAD. I am not a meat loving person when it comes to meals. In fact, many of you have probably seen the photo taken last year while I was here in January (and I realized that our group was "roasting a pig"). I pleaded with them to Save Wilbur, but I realized that I was not going to win this battle. I know, God has provided us with lots of good food to eat and enjoy, including animals. But his face, it was like he was starring at me and calling out to me for HELP...(Rest In Peace Little One).

As I walked along the Market, Gleny just laughed at me as I continued to point to all the heads of numerous pigs, sheep, and cows. Meat hanging in rows, flies surrounding the area, ready to be sliced. I even saw chopped off chicken heads...and people were buying them. All I could think of was, what could they be used for?

I thought I would share some photos so you could capture the scene just as if you were here. I really enjoyed this time with Gleny and for all the help she is giving me. I am sure soon going to the Market will be second nature to me and seeing and smelling the meat as I walk by...will be the norm. Gleny tried to get me to purchase "Cue" (guinea pig)- and I just could not stomach the thought today of seeing that little "pet" on my plate.

Well, this is all for now. We miss you all dearly! Thank you again for following the journey!

January 2011 at the Peruvian Pig Roast

Imagine...walking up and seeing this!



Numerous parts being sold!

No comments:

Post a Comment