"For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being ROOTED and grounded in LOVE, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the LOVE of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen."

~Ephesians 3:14-21

Friday, January 27, 2012

TRIALS by Sarah Young 01.25.12

This morning I woke up and I read a devotion by Sarah Young from her Jesus Calling Devotional Bible. As I read each line, I felt God speaking to me as I sat there and thought about all my mini "trials" that have crossed my path since being here. After really reflecting on her writing, I realized that my trials really were not even trials at all. I have become so accustomed to daily "stress" and over the years have found myself dwelling on the negatives of every situation. I am not sure why this is...but as I looked closer at God's Word in 2 Corinthians 4:17-18, and the writings of Paul NKJ version with added (New Living Translation), which says, "For our light affliction (present troubles are small), which is but for a moment (won't last very long), is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory (last forever), while we do not look at the things which are seen (so don't look at the troubles we can see now), but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary (will soon be gone), but the things which are not seen are eternal (last forever)."

As I look back over the last few months as we were preparing to come to Peru and the last week and a half living here, most of the things that I worried about at the time, ended up not being that big of deal anyway. In fact, some days I find myself overloaded with stress and worry (okay maybe lots of day), but if I look back I cannot even remember those little things. Sarah's devotion shared, "if you shrug them off immediately and return your focus to Me (God), you will walk through your days with lighter steps and a joyful heart. When serious problems come your way, you will have more reserves for dealing with them You will not have squandered your energy on petty problems. You may even reach the point where you can agree with the apostle Paul that all your problems are light and momentary, compared with the eternal glory being achieved by them."

Dear Lord, give me Your eyes and help me see things from Your perspective, not from mine or the world's. Help me to focus on You daily and enjoy the relationships I have with my friends and family (cherish every moment with the kids you have given me for such a short period of time). No matter what circumstances or trials I may face, help me to stop and draw close to You to better understand what You may be teaching me or why You may be putting certain individuals or situations in my path. Dear Lord, help me to see the bigger picture and realize that the very moment that may be overwhelming, may be an open opportunity to share your love with others. Lord, help me to rely on Your strength. "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." - 2 Corinthians 12:9

No comments:

Post a Comment