"For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being ROOTED and grounded in LOVE, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the LOVE of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen."

~Ephesians 3:14-21

Friday, April 13, 2012

The Ladder



I read these words below in the "Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God" by Henry and Richard Blackaby, and in the "Not a Fan" book, by Kyle Idelman. I cannot take credit for any of these thoughts or questions written below. Many were taken directly from the words of these authors. I could not help, but wonder and reflect on my own life as I read God's Word and also think about so many special people around me that I love so dearly, and yet, for so many, I do not know which path they are on. Many, who over the years, maybe I was too afraid to ask, too busy and caught up in life, or dreaded the confrontation it may cause when seeking to find out if they really KNOW CHRIST. 



The Ladder
Picture in your mind a tall ladder leaning against a wall. Now think about your life as a process of climbing that ladder. Wouldn't it be a tragedy to ascend to the top and find that you had placed the ladder against the wrong wall? One life to live, and you MISSED it!

I often think a lot about this verse: 

"But the gateway to life is narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few will find it." -Matthew 7:14

The author of the book, Not a Fan, went on to say that it is not his objective to cause true believers to doubt or question their standing with God. 

Bottom line is this...there will be a day when we stand before God, and on that day many who thought themselves followers will be identified as nothing more than fans

Though I believe in the assurance of salvation, I also believe that we are to work out our salvation with fear and trembling.

"Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." -Philippians 2:12

It is possible that for so many that they think they are on the narrow road but they are actually on the broad road?

I had to look at my own life...my family, my kids. Am I living the example of faith and obedience, and really following and loving God will all my heart, soul, and mind. Or am I going day by day on cruise control, my Christian radio on, attending church on Sunday mornings...traveling down the wrong road...or climbing up the wrong ladder....heading down the road to destruction.

"Not everyone who says to me, "Lord, Lord" will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, Lord, Lord did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?" Then I will tell them plainly, "I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!" -Matthew 7:21-23

I never knew you...these were people that on the OUTSIDE appeared to know Christ. But God knew their deeds and their hearts. (Narrow road...this road is difficult.)

It would not surprise me if Jesus said a few will stand before God on Judgement Day convinced that everything is fine only to find out otherwise.

We were all created for a God-centered love relationship. Your walk with God (Father, Son, and Spirit) is the single most important aspect of your life. If it is not as it should be, nothing else will function properly.

God did not create you for time; He created you for eternity. Time--your lifetime on earth--provides the opportunity for you to become acquainted with Him. It provides occasions for Him to develop your character into His likeness. Then eternity will hold its fullest dimensions for you.

Take a moment to share this with a friend or stop for a moment and reflect on your own life. Who or what is your life? Is Jesus the Lord of your life? He sent His only Son to provide eternal life for us. He laid down His life for us (John 3:16). God wants you to love Him with all your being. A love relationship with God is more important than any other single factor in your life.

Ask God to examine your heart right now...which ladder or road are you on?


Sources: 
Holy Bible (New King James Version and New Living Translation)
Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God, Henry & Richard Blackaby (page 54-55) Published by Lifeway Press, 2007
Not a Fan, Kyle Idleman (page 101-103) Published by Zondervan, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment